New Academic Program
All new academic programs must adhere to THEC's prescribed three-step application and approval process (See THEC policy A1.0.). The below information summarizes the THEC process as well as provides information on the needed forms and documentation for proposing a new academic programs.
A new academic program is defined as a degree program not currently offered at APSU (such as the Doctor of Education) or a new major (such as Aviation Science). Please be aware that an Academic Intake form is needed for all new academic program proposals.
THEC three step process:
- Letter of Notification (LON) (Curriculog Form 7)
- New Academic Program Proposal (NAPP) (Curriculog Form 4 or 8)
- External Review
Important considerations prior to proposing a new academic program
- How will this program further APSU's mission, vision and strategic plans for the future?
- Why is the establishment of this program an institutional priority?
- Do the APSU aspirational peer and peer institutions offer similar programs?
- What institutions nationally have been used to inform the development of this program?
- Will this program meet student, community, workforce and industry demand?
- Are there similar and/or duplicate programs offered at nearby institutions?
- Does APSU offer a similar program? How will this program differ?
- What will program enrollment look like?
- What will the program curriculum look like?
- What resources does APSU have that will support this program?
- What faculty members will be involved?
- What resources must be acquired to implement this program?
- How many new faculty members will be needed?
- Will additional equipment or facilities be needed?
- Will additional library and learning resources be needed?
- Academic Intake Form
- Curriculog Form 2
- Form must be approved prior to completing the Letter of Notification
- Letter of Notification Form
- Curriculog Form 7
- First step in the process and requires THEC approval prior to completing the New Academic Program Proposal
- UG New Academic Program Proposal
- GR New Academic Program Proposal
- THEC Financial Projection Form
- 4 year course plan for Undergraduate Degree
Additional Documentation for submission to THEC
- A letter from APSU President stating support for the development of the program (this letter will be obtained by Academic Affairs).
- Any additional Letters of support (accrediting bodies, organizations or businesses where students may seek employment upon completion of degree).
- All Documentation provided with the Letter of Notification