New Academic Program Development
All new academic programs must adhere to THEC’s prescribed three-step application and approval process (See THEC policy A1.0.) These steps include the following:
- Letter of Notification (LON) (Curriculog Form 7)
- New Academic Program Proposal (NAPP) (Curriculog Form 4 or 8)
- External Review
New Academic Program Intake Process
In order to counsel the department on the appropriate course of action to carry out the proposed modification, the Office of Academic Affairs requests all departments complete and submit the APSU Academic Programs Intake Form (Curriculog Form 2).
Additionally, prior to beginning the application process, it is important for the proposing department consider the following questions:
- How will this program further APSU’s mission, vision and strategic plans for the future?
- Why is the establishment of this program an institutional priority?
- Do the APSU aspirational peer and peer institutions offer similar programs?
- What institutions nationally have been used to inform the development of this program?
- Will this program meet student, community, workforce and industry demand?
- Are there similar and/or duplicate programs offered at nearby institutions?
- Does APSU offer a similar program? How will this program differ?
- What will program enrollment look like?
- What will the program curriculum look like?
- What resources does APSU have that will support this program?
- What faculty members will be involved?
- What resources must be acquired to implement this program?
- How many new faculty members will be needed?
- Will additional equipment or facilities be needed?
- Will additional library and learning resources be needed?