Master of Arts in Education
The College of Education at Austin Peay offers a Master of Arts in Education (M.A.Ed.) with concentrations in:
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Leadership Studies
This performance-based curriculum for prospective school administrators is based on the Tennessee Instructional Leadership Standards (TILS) developed by the Tennessee Department of Education and enacted into law by the Tennessee General Assembly. It was revised in 2013 in all Tennessee Principal (instructional leadership) Licensing Programs. This program is designed to prepare candidates for educational administrative positions. The program is designed to be taken by cohort groups. Upon completion of the program and the SLLA PRAXIS exam, the student will receive a Master of Arts in Education and be eligible for licensure as a Tennessee school administrator.
The Reading Specialist Master’s Program is designed to be completed in a cohort group, for candidates interested in improving their knowledge of literacy and pursuing a position as a reading specialist or curriculum coach.
The Curriculum and Instruction program offers additional specializations in Instructional Technology, Advanced Studies, Mathematics, and Special Education.
The Master of Arts in Education is open to students with current teacher licensure, who desire to expand their expertise in their academic area or earn the credentials necessary to provide professional mobility in the field of education. The variety of concentrations and specializations available at Austin Peay allows M.A.Ed. students focused studies relevant and applicable to their current or desired academic discipline.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (or 2.75 with GRE scores of 143 verbal and 140 quantitative or Miller’s Analogies Test (MAT) score of 385).
- A valid teaching or administrator license
- Three full years successful teaching experience
- Acquire a letter of support from two practicing administrators who agree to mentor the aspiring administrator throughout the program (300 hours of Field Based Experiences)
- Participate in a program entrance interview
- Complete an On-Demand writing assignment
- Submit a portfolio containing:
- Formal evaluations (3)
- Philosophy of Education
- Three (3) letters of recommendation