Music Performance Certificate
This program is designed for post-baccalaureate music students who wish to concentrate primarily on their performance skills as they prepare for entry into graduate programs, competitions, auditions, or performing positions without being enrolled in a degree program. The certificate program focuses almost exclusively on developing performance skills through private instruction, collaborative and ensemble performances, and solo recitals. The certificate does not carry the privileges of a college degree.
For international students who lack adequate English competency, the program will focus on music performance and English studies in tandem. International students who have sufficient English skills may continue to concentrate on English language skills in tandem with the Performance Certificate.
Areas of Study: Flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar, piano (collaborative and solo).
This is a one-year program in which students must be enrolled in applied lessons and a large ensemble during each semester of residency. Students may only be in residence during fall and spring semesters. Students must complete the program within five years. Students may choose to remain in the certificate program for two years of residency.
Students must earn at least a 3.0 grade point average during each semester of study and demonstrate satisfactory progress at the end-of-semester jury or recital examination in order to remain in the program. Additionally, no more than three hours of credit with a grade of C may be applied toward the certificate.
Students may transfer up to 9 semester hours earned in the Performance Certificate program into APSU’s Master or Music program following a successful audition into said program and with approval of the appropriate applied music faculty and the Graduate Committee. Students may not transfer credit from another institution into the Performance Certificate. Acceptance into the Performance Certificate does not automatically constitute admission to the College of Graduate Studies.
Students may enroll in one graduate level course each semester that supports their career aspirations. This may include classes such as TOEFL, music entrepreneurship, Alexander Technique, music literature, or pedagogy.
International students must also provide the following:
- Completed College of Graduate Studies Application. Select “Graduate-Special/Non Degree on the application.
- $25.00 Application Fee (in bank draft or US check payable to Austin Peay State University).
- International students must submit official TOEFL scores.
- Proof of Financial Support Form with proof of resources (US $31,332*- $33,312* for 9 months or US $45,141* - $48,111* for 12 months. *All fees are subject to change. For dependents to be included on the I-20AB, add $3,500 per academic year for your spouse and $2,000 per academic year for each child. Spouses of F-1 visa holders are not permitted to work under any circumstances. Spouses of J-1 visa holders may obtain permission to work only for his or her and the children’s support.
- If you are a transfer student from another U.S. college, university, or other school, you must have the college, university, or other school send us a photocopy of your I-20 form/DS-2019 form, I-94 form, US Visa page, and passport information page along with the International Student Transfer Verification Form.
- You must also provide immunization records to APSU Health Services. Please visit Health Services to review a list of required immunizations and downloaded immunization forms. Contact Health Services at 931.221.7107 or email@example.com with questions.