Frequently Asked Questions
Go back

Frequently Asked Questions


Applicant Questions

Please visit  You may either click on the "Search Postings" link located under the navigation bar to the left or click on the "Austin Peay State University" box located towards the bottom of the webpage.
To view the job details of a position, click on the "View Details" link below the job title.
After carefully reading the job details and determining if you are qualified, click the "Apply to this job" link.  If you are a new user, you will be directed to create a new account.  You may do so by clicking the "create a new account now" link. You will receive an automated email confirming your registration.  Your application is not complete until you receive a confirmation number.
You will be asked to provide personal information such as your name, address, phone number, etc.  You will also be asked to provide information about your education and current or previous employment, as well as contact information regarding your references.  You will be able to upload documents such a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, references list or reference letters, etc.  Please note that uploading just a resume/curriculum vitae does not substitute for completing your online application.  Most clerical positions will require a microsoft word/excel assessment.  It is highly recommended that you gather all of your application information before starting the application process
If you are a returning user and already have an application on file, simply login using your username and password.  You will be able to apply to new jobs without re-entering your application information.  However, it is highly recommended that you edit your application information, if applicable, before applying.  You will not be allowed to change your application information after you have applied for a job.
You may only edit your application when applying for a new position. After clicking on "apply for this job," you will be able to edit your application.
As you proceed through the online application, you will be able to save your information every time you move from one screen to the next.  Be sure to click "Save Changes" or "Next" to store any changes to your application as you progress.  When you are ready to continue with your application, login and click the "Complete" link under the "Status" column.  Your application is not complete until you receive a confirmation number.
Applications for clerical and support staff positions must be submitted online on or before the closing date as indicated in the job details.  Professional, administrative and faculty positions are open until filled.  Once the closing date for a job has passed and/ore the posting is removed, you will not be able to apply. Please continue to visit for new jobs as they become available.
Once you submit your application, the Office of Human Resources and Affirmative Action will review your application to determine whether or not you meet the minimum qualifications as specified in the job details.
The time varies depending on the department that is conducting the hiring.  If selected for an interview, you will be contacted to make the necessary arrangements for an appointment.
You will not be able to change your application information after you have applied for a job.  Any changes to your application information will only affect your application to future job postings.  If you have a change, you may contact the Office of Human Resources.  Do not create a new online application; you are only allowed to apply once to a posting.
Upon logging into your account, you will be able to check the status of your application. Log into the system, click on your applications, and status of your position will be listed. Candidates that are not selected for the position will receive an email to inform them of the decision.  If the position is closed, candidates will receive e-mail notification that the position has been filled.
You may remove your application from consideration for a job at any time.  Upon logging into your account, click the "Withdraw Application" link located under the "Status" column of your application status.  However, once you withdraw your application, you will not be able to apply for the same position again.
At the login screen, click the "Forgot your username or password" link.  You will be required to enter your username and the answer to your secret password question (case-sensitive) in order to retrieve your password. If you forgot your username, you will be required to provide your email address associated with your account.
Contact the Office of Human Resources at 221-7177 for a password reset.


Benefits Questions

Please complete the form at 2018 Enrollment/Change Application and return to the Office of Human Resources along with a copy of the mother’s copy of the birth certificate.

You may change this contribution by accessing your account at or by calling RetireReadyTN at 1-800-922-7772.

You may contact RetireReadyTN at 1-800-922-7772 to request an estimate of your retirement benefit.  They will ask for your SSN, your projected date of retirement, and your remaining sick leave balance.

 This information is available in the APSU leave policy at in section I
 Please refer to APSU policy 5:001 regarding educational expenses at
The annual enrollment period for 2018 has not been annnounced yet, but will be updated accordingly when the dates are selected for annual enrollment.  Please visit the state's website for updates and changes that can be made during open enrollment.

The rules on cancelling your insurance plan are available at   If one of the reasons indicated does not apply, the cancellation may be requested during the Annual Enrollment Transfer Period. To change your dental insurance outside of the annual open enrollment period, you must have a qualifying event or family status change during the year, which would include birth, marriage, divorce and new employment.  Please see the link to the 2018 enrollment form for what qualifies as a special qualifying event

Please refer to APSU Policy 5:020 at in section X.

The beneficiary designation forms are below.  Please complete the forms for benefits in which you are enrolled.  If you are enrolled in the ORP retirement option, please update your beneficiary at the website for the company to which your contributions are going—TIAA, VOYA or VALIC; links below.  If you have questions regarding the forms that apply to you, review your benefits through Employee Self-Service at OneStop or contact the Office of Human Resources at 7180 or 7013.



Payroll Questions

If you did not submit your timesheet or did not submit the correct number of hours, you will need to submit the missed time under “adjustment hours” on the next pay period timesheet.   You enter the total number of hours as a lump sum on any given day, and in the comment section you must give a breakdown of the dates the hours are for and the number of hours per day.  The adjustment will be paid on the next regularly scheduled payday.

You complete a new direct deposit form found on the payroll web page under payroll forms.  It must be signed and submitted back to Payroll.  If you are adding a new account, your first check will be given to you on a US Bank Focus payroll card while we run a test the accuracy of your new bank account information to ensure your paycheck will be deposited.  Payroll will notify you when your Payroll card is ready to be picked up in Human Resources.

Depending how you are paid they are due at different times.  Please refer to the Payroll Schedules for due dates. 

Eligible Students that are enrolled in classes at least half-time (6-hrs undergraduate and 3-hrs graduate)are exempt from FICA Social Security and FICA Medicare taxes. 


Eligible Students:

  • is at least a half-time undergraduate student or at least a half-time graduate or professional student,
  • is not a full-time employee of the college,
  • is not a “professional employee” and
  • is not a career employee eligible to receive certain employment benefits or participate in certain employment benefit plans (e.g. vacation, sick leave, 403(b), etc.)


School Breaks: An individual working for the College during the summer or during other school breaks of more than 5 weeks, but who does not have the status of a student during this period, as defined in this policy, is not eligible for the student FICA exemption on wages paid during the period. The student FICA tax exemption does apply to school breaks of 5 weeks or less (for example, winter and spring breaks) provided the individual is a continuing student. In order to be eligible for the FICA tax exemption during school breaks of 5 weeks or less, the individual must qualify for the FICA tax exemption on the last day of the semester or term preceding the break and be eligible to enroll for classes in the first semester or term following the break.


Students Working at Beginning or End of an Academic Term

If the academic term begins or ends at any point within a pay period, the entire pay period is eligible for the exemption from FICA.


Visa Holders- Students, researchers, or scholars temporarily present in the U.S. on F1, J1, M1, or Q1/Q2 visas are usually exempt from FICA taxes as long as they are considered “nonresident aliens” for income tax purposes. Other rules regarding the number of calendar years a visa holder is considered to be a nonresident alien pertain to each visa and can impact whether the student FICA exemption is appropriate.

If you are a student or are eligible for overtime or comp time please contact Roxanne Grachanin at 931-221-7433 or email

If you are a salaried monthly paid employee please contact Myra Soward 931-221-7465 or email


Student Employment Questions

The University requirements for student employment include the following:

  • Enrollment at least 1/2 time at APSU
  • Minimum 1.8 overall combined GPA

Departments may have other job-related requirements for specific positions.

A student cannot be hired as a temporary employee when enrolled in classes.  All students must be hired through the student employment process and paid through the student payroll.

Students may work no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session and no more than 37.5 hours per week when classes are not in session.  This includes on-line classes and classes at the Fort Campbell Campus.
Students may work for no more than two (2) departments simultaneously.  Students may work a total of 20 hours per week.  While classes are in session, students may not work more than 20 hours combining the schedules for both positions.  When classes are not in session, students may work no more than 37.5 hours combining the schedules for both positions.  Department supervisors are responsible for coordinating the number of hours students work for each department.  Department supervisors are also responsible for ensuring that students do not work over the 20-hour maximum per week.

Students are NOT permitted to begin working before receiving from Human Resources an email with an authorized start date.  Human Resources must approve all General Campus and Federal Work Study student assignments. Wait to receive from Human Resources an email indicating the effective date of employment.  In compliance with APSU policy as well as the Immigration Reform and Control Act, employees are not eligible to begin working (even to attend training) before receiving authorization from Human Resources.

To change a student’s rate of pay, complete a Student Employment Request Form.  Choose “Pay Rate Change” from the Action Item dropdown menu.  Note that pay rate changes are effective only at the start of a pay period and remember to include on the form a reason for the change.  Forward the form to Human Resources.

In order to terminate a student employee’s assignment, send to Lisa Ramsey ( an email with the information listed below.  If the student is working in a Federal Work Study assignment, be sure that Terri Huth ( receives a copy of the email.

  • Student Name
  • Student’s Banner ID number
  • Date of Termination
  • Position Number



Have a question that wasn't covered in the FAQ's? Ask it here!