International Travel
Go back


  • F-1 visa international students must have a valid signature in the Travel Endorsement section on page 2 of your I-20 form by a university DSO before traveling outside of the United States.
      • The signature date on your I-20 is valid for only one year of travel; check to make sure the signature is and will be valid upon return. It is recommended that there is at least 30 days between your anticipated re-entry and expiration of travel signature in case of any changes while out of the country.
      • Please contact the F-1 International Student Advisor to make an appointment to get a travel signature. It is recommended that you make the appointment at least 1 week before your expected departure date (from Clarksville) to ensure you can get an appointment in time.
      • Open Travel Signature Dates (no appointment needed) for 2018-2019 in McReynolds room 103:
        • Wednesday, October 10: 9am -11:30am, 1pm-4pm
        • Friday, November 16: 9am -11:30am, 1pm-4pm
        • Friday, December 7: 9am -11:30am, 1pm-4pm
        • Wednesday, February 27: 9am -11:30am, 1pm-4pm
        • Friday, April 26: 9am -11:30am, 1pm-4pm
  • You must make sure that your passport is valid up to six months after your re-entry date. 
  • Before leaving you must check to make sure that your student visa will still be valid upon re-entry into the U.S. If not, you will need to apply for a new visa prior to your return to the U.S. 
      • As long as your I-20 record in SEVIS is current and in good status, you do not need a valid visa to remain in the United States. A valid F-1 visa is only required for international travel to re-enter the United States.
      • If you need to renew your visa in order to re-enter the United States, you must apply in person to a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
      • Applicants are normally required to submit the following documentation: valid passport, current passport-size photographs, valid Form I-20 (3 pages), proof of financial support (bank statements and/or scholarship, or financial aid letter) and proof of enrollment (certificate of enrollment or transcript).
      • Certain students may be eligible to waive the visa interview process when renewing a visa. See the consulate or embassy website where you will be applying to see if you will be eligible.
  • These items should be in your carry-on bags (NOT in your checked luggage) when leaving and re-entering the U.S.
      • your I-20 form (with travel signature)
      • passport
      • visa
      • financial support documentation
      • emergency contact information for the APSU SEVIS PDSO/DSO and APSU Public Safety in case of after business hours emergency
      • other proof of student identification including transcripts, student I.D., current/next semester class schedule/registration
      • If you are on are OPT, you may also need proof of employment (job offer letter with start/end dates) and your EAD card.