English Language Proficiency
All international applicants are required to submit official proof of proficiency in the English language by submitting one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) School Code: 1028
TOEFL scores are valid for two years.
Minimum score of 500 (paper-based exam)
Minimum score of 173 (computer-based exam); or
Minimum score of 61 (internet-based exam).
- International English Language Testing System
IELTS scores are valid for two years.
A minimum score of 5.5 is required.
TOEFL or IELTS scores will not be required from an international applicant, if:
1. English is the native language of the applicant’s country of citizenship, or
Countries Included are: Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Belize, Botswana, British Islands, Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, United Kingdom, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
2. The applicant has been conferred a Bachelor’s degree from a United States accredited, four-year college or university, which is confirmed by an official transcript, or
3. The applicant has taken at least one full semester of English composition (not developmental or remedial) at a United States college or university and received a grade of “C” or better, which is confirmed by an official transcript, or
4. If the applicant successfully completes the Austin Peay State University's ESL Institute's University Transfer Track with a recommendation from the ESL Institute.
IELTS and TOEFL scores must be sent from the testing agency to the university to be considered official.