Linguistics Concentration, M.A.
Master of Arts in English Program Course Requirements:
- ENGL 5000 Bibliography and Methods of Research 3
- Five (5) graduate-level literature courses (15 credits total)
- Five (5) graduate-level courses (15 credits total; can include 6 thesis hours; can be literature, linguisitics, creative writing, professional/technical writing courses)
- Passing score on Comprehensive Examination.
Twelve (12) credits in graduate-level Linguistics courses. The courses listed below will count towards the Linguistics Concentration and simultaneously count towards item 3 above. An approved thesis in Linguistics can also count towards the 12 required credits. Students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.9 or higher in linguistics courses in order to complete the Linguistics Concentration.
- LING 506A - History of English Language 3
- LING 506B - Structure of Language 3
- LING 506C - Language, Culture and Identity 3
- LING 506D - Survey of Early Germanic Languages 3
- LING 506E - Language Variation and Change 3
- LING 506F - Discourse Analysis 3
- LING 506G - Historial Linguistics 3
- LING 506H - Theory in Second Language Acquisition 3
- LING 506I - Selected Topics in Linguistics 3
- ENGL 5990 - Thesis 3 or 6
This thesis (6 credits) counts towards Linguistics Concentration only if it is an approved thesis in Linguistics overseen by a Linguistics faculty member.