Student Travel Awards
November 18 – Travel occurring between October 1 until February 28
January 30 – Travel occurring between March 1 until September 30
Students applying for funds must be:
- currently enrolled at the time of application.
- have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- have no record of formal discipline with the University (appeals can be made directly to OSRI Director).
- not be a faculty/staff member of the University.
- not have received student travel funding during the previous funding period.
- completes all the requirements listed under “General Guidelines” below.
Activities that aid scholarly development but that are not required for the completion of the degree. Types of activities include but are not limited to: conferences, participation in creative performances, scholarly workshops, and specialized training programs not available at APSU. Funds are limited and when exhausted no additional requests may be funded.
Travel awards will be funded for only one of two funding periods: November 18 or January 30. Requests can be made for anticipated expenses related to registration, transportation, and lodging only. Travel within North America and the Caribbean is eligible for a maximum of $750. Other international travel requests are eligible for a maximum of $1,000. Any travel outside of the United States must comply with all APSU and TBR policies on international travel. Approved funds will be reimbursed following the trip after 1) submission of the completed travel expense claim form and eligible receipts and 2) submission of the Post-Trip Survey. Failure to follow the guidelines or who do not provide appropriate receipts will not be reimbursed. Please note that OSRI has limited travel funds and makes no guarantees regarding level of travel support. Not all awards will meet the maximum funding eligibility and previous travel support should not be used as an indication of future travel support.
A letter from a faculty mentor and a student benefits of travel statement are both required for a completed application.
- Submit Letter of Support from faculty sponsor detailing the expected benefit of travel
- Submit APSU Travel Authorization Form
- Attach Documentation of Expected Expenses to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students who are approved to attend a conference/meeting to present research that occurred while enrolled must inform and publish on their work that the research occurred at Austin Peay State University. Students must provide documentation of this notification.
- Student travel funds will not be awarded for travel for classes, programs of study, field trips, job or department travel, job placement or job searches, any type of tuition or payment of class/seminar, personal interest or personal educational, religious or political development, etc. Funds are not available to cover travel which results in academic credit or that is required to complete the requirements for the degree. Funds are for individual student travel, not for student organization travel.
- If you are competing or presenting at an event, you should include your letter of acceptance with your travel authorization and documented expenses. If acceptance is pending you can email the letter to email@example.com prior to travel for reevaluation of your travel support or attach the letter with your documentation of expenses (preferred).
- Applicants will be contacted by email with information regarding a funding decision.
- All travel requests must be complete by the appropriate deadlines to receive consideration.
- Mileage rates are reimbursed at a rate of $0.26 per mile and distance should be determined using this mileage calculator http://maps.randmcnally.com/mileage_calculator
- Complete a Travel Authorization Form including supporting documentation of the costs incurred with travel and signed by your faculty sponsor or department chair. Your application WILL NOT be considered for funding unless the online application is complete and the travel authorization form is completed including both signatures and documentation showing proof of expenses.
- All funds must be requested using the online application form.
- Application Deadlines: November 18 (Oct-Feb travel) or January 30 (Mar-Sept travel)
- Eligible Expenses: lodging, transportation, registration and meal/food expenses only.
- Qualifications: Students applying for funds must be: currently enrolled at the time of application, have a minimum GPA of 2.5, have no record of formal discipline with the University (appeals can be made directly to OSRI Director), not be a faculty/staff member of the University, not have received student travel funding during the previous funding period.
- Application Process:
- Students applying for travel grants not related to research must: 1.Submit an abstract approved and signed by the student and supervisor of the purpose of the trip. 2.Provide documentation of approval of the reason for travel by the hosting party.
- The Code of Student Conduct applies to all students receiving funds for travel from OSRI.
- Students receiving funding must complete the post-trip survey within 10 days after the conclusion of the trip. Students will be reimbursed up the amount awarded with the appropriate receipts, completed travel expense claim form, and completed post-trip survey.
- Submit the Travel Expense Claim form to the Office of Student Research & Innovation, Miller Hall 205/207 within one week of returning from your trip. All eligible receipts must be included with the claim form. Claim forms will not be accepted without the appropriate receipts. Failure to submit the claim form and post trip survey within 10 days will result in a forfeiture of the funding awarded.
- Expenses incurred by the student prior to receiving confirmation of awarded funding are the responsibility of the student.