|Austin Peay State University
||March 30, 2017
||Office of the President
It is the policy of Austin Peay State University to model and promote diversity and
inclusion at all levels and in all sectors of the University. By modeling and promoting
diversity and inclusion, Austin Peay State University will foster environments of
equity and inclusive excellence.
The purpose of this policy is to define and promote diversity throughout the University.
-APSU Diversity Committee
-APSU Chief Diversity Officer
- Diversity can be broadly defined as differences. When applied within the context of
education and the educational community, diversity represents the inclusion and support
of groups of people with a variety of human characteristics that go beyond the legally
protected classes of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability status,
veteran status – to include, but not be limited to, other categories such as socio-economic
status, sexual orientation, first generation college status, urban or rural upbringing
– and other personal characteristics that shape an individual’s identity and life
experience in a substantive way.
- Duties of the President
- The President shall be responsible for the development and implementation of the diversity
program on each campus.
- In carrying out this responsibility, the President shall comply with the following:
- Provide positive and assertive leadership in the development and implementation of
the campus diversity plan and ensure that appropriate attention is devoted to the
plan and initiatives in staff and faculty meetings.
- Ensure that campus diversity plans are reviewed annually and progress towards meeting
the goals and objectives is assessed.
- Appoint a campus committee with broad campus representation.
- The charge of the committee should include, but not be limited to:
- Gathering and reporting data.
- Recommending diversity related initiatives.
- Reviewing and assessing progress of diversity initiatives.
APSU Policy 1:006 (previously 5:064) – Rev.: March 30, 2017
APSU Policy 1:006 – Rev.: August 12, 2015
APSU Policy 1:006 – Issued: December 8, 2009
President: signature on file