2:023 Awarding of Credits Earned Through Extra-Institutional Learning to the University
|Austin Peay State
|Awarding of Credits Earned Through Extra-Institutional Learning to the University
||March 8, 2017
||Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
It is the policy of Austin Peay State University to award credits earned through extra-institutional
learning in compliance with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission
The purpose of this policy is to authorize the University to develop procedures for
the recognition of equivalent extra-institutional learning processes that include
the awarding of credit or advanced placement.
- The process for awarding of credits through “Extra-Institutional or Life-long Learning”
by the University must be in compliance with the Southern Association of Colleges
and Schools Commission on Colleges’ Principles of Accreditation on Programs (reference
3.4), the Commission’s Position Statement on the “Transfer of Academic Credit,” and
its policy on “The Transfer or Transcripting of Academic Credit.”
- The University process for awarding credits through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
the University must be in compliance with the Recommended Standards in Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Policy and Practice of Tennessee
Public Colleges and Universities (August 7, 2012).
- These Standards ensure that the University will utilize best practices and provide
services to students that are consistent.
- The Standards ensure transferability of PLA credit, include identification of types
of PLA credits available, instruct the University on the transcription of PLA credit,
and establish common standards for portfolio review.
- When awarding credit under this provision, the University will use a recognized guide
or procedure for awarding the credit for extra-institutional or life-long learning.
The recognized guides or procedures may include:
- American Council on Education (ACE) National Guide to Educational Credit for Training
- ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces.
- ACE Guide to Credit by Examination.
- College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Program. (CEEB/AP)
- Credit by Departmental Examination. (ref. SACSCOC)
- Degree-relevant extra-institutional learning credit awarded and transcripted by other
accredited institutions, as well as that credit transcripted by ACE on the ACE Registry
Transcript System (AARTS for the Army, SMART for Navy and Marines, CCAF for the Air
Force) and the ACE Registry of Credit Examinations (ROCR)
- Subject matter experts who are not members of the University’s faculty but who evaluate
extra-institutional learning at the University’s request.
- Individual portfolios using the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL)
or other standardized guidelines authorized, in advance, by permission of the University.
- When utilizing published guides for extra-institutional learning, the information
provided should include:
- course title;
- location of all sites where the course is offered;
- length in hours, days, or weeks;
- period during which the credit recommendation applies;
- purpose for which the credit was designed;
- learning outcomes;
- teaching methods, materials, and major subject areas covered; and
- college credit recommendations offered by categories (by level of degrees) and expressed
in semester hours and subject area(s) in which credit is applicable.
APSU Policy 2:023 – Issued: March 8, 2017
President: signature on file