5:009 Moving Allowance
|Austin Peay State
||November 16, 2018
||Vice President for Finance and Administration
It is the policy of Austin Peay State University to provide assistance to new employees
relocating to begin work with the University.
The purpose of this policy is to establish the processes and procedures for payment
of APSU employee moving expenses.
- Newly hired full-time employees who relocate from their former residence to a new
residence may be issued a one-time moving allowance, if deemed appropriate by the
President or designee (See APSU Policy 4:002). The contract for moving allowances should be executed at the time of employment.
- If the University recruits and hires more than one person from the same family, only
one moving allowance is permitted.
- To be eligible to receive a moving allowance, the move must meet the minimum IRS distance test of 50 miles from the location of the former residence.
- The distance between the two points is the shortest of the more commonly traveled
routes between them.
Arranging for Moving
- The moving allowance is paid directly to the employee, reported as taxable income,
and is subject to all tax liability at the time of payment (The amount of the moving
allowance will be included in boxes 1, 3, and 5 of the employee’s W-2).
- The employee will make all arrangements for the move without the involvement of the
- The employee does not submit moving expense receipts to the University but is advised
to keep a copy for personal tax return purposes.
- All moving allowances in excess of $10,000 require approval by the President or appropriate
Senior Leadership Team member.
- Moving allowances will be paid or reimbursed only after a contract is executed between
the employee and the University.
- All payments must be made within twelve (12) months of the date regular, full/part-time
employment begins for new employees or relocation occurs for relocated employees.
- The agreement on the amount of the moving allowance to be paid should be clearly understood
in writing between the employee and the University.
- The University shall assume no liability whatsoever for personal injuries, property
damages, or other losses which may be sustained in connection with any moves undertaken
pursuant to these regulations.
- In consideration for the University paying a moving allowance, the employee agrees
to remain employed by the University for a period of at least one year. For faculty
appointed on an academic basis, one year is defined as one regular academic session
(Fall and Spring Semesters, nine months). For all other annual faculty and staff,
one year is defined as twelve months. Should the employee voluntarily leave prior
to completion of that year, the employee will be liable to the University for repayment
of any moving allowance which the University has paid (to or on behalf of the employee),
together with all payroll taxes withheld by the University in connection with such
allowance. If the employee is terminated for cause during the first year, the University
may seek repayment of any moving allowance.
APSU Policy 5:009 - Rev.: November 16. 2018
APSU Policy 5:009 - Rev.: November 17, 2017
APSU Policy 5:009 - Issued: February 2, 2017
President: signature on file