One of the most popular service opportunities at Austin Peay: Alternative Break Trips! Students have the opportunity to spend their breaks volunteering in other communities and having amazing experiences. Every trip has a theme, a student trip leader, and faculty/staff member. Trips are very affordable - never more than $100 for domestic trips and are all inclusive. Each trip includes an exploration day where volunteers explore the historical, natural, or cultural specialties in the area.
The mission of the Alternative Break Program is to engage students in meaningful and collaborative community service in an effort to increase awareness of social and environmental issues and strengthen the communities in which they serve as well as foster a strong sense of community among trip participants and to the university as a whole.
- The student will be able to connect applied experiences derived from participation in alternative break trips with relevant knowledge acquired from exposure to course work from multiple academic disciplines.
- The student will be able to adapt and apply skills, abilities, theories, or methodologies acquired in classroom settings to address novel situations or problems in alternative break settings.
- The student will be able to demonstrate the ability to engage in meaningful self-reflection that leads to self-awareness and a sense of competence to effectively respond to new and challenging contexts.
Join us on this 3-day trip where we get to explore Nashville, learn about local non-profits, and do some great volunteer work! This trip will work with organizations such as:
- The Little Pantry That Could, a pantry that provides groceries to families, the homeless, those with disabilities, veterans, and more.
- Nashville Diaper Bank, an organization whose mission is to ensure that every baby in Nashville has enough diapers to remain clean, dry, and healthy.
- Thistle Farms, a non-profit that works with women survivors of trafficking, prostitution, and addiction.
The trip will go into Nashville on Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday and come back each day. Transportation is provided.
October 13-16, 2018 | Trip costs - $60 | Application due - September 28, 2018
Join us this Fall Break as we partner with Don Carter State Park in Gainesville, GA! Here, we will help the part maintain their trails, cabins, and take in the beautiful views!
October 13-16, 2018 | Trip costs - $100 | Application due - October 1, 2018
Join us as we return to Puerto Rico to continue our efforts in hurricane relief work. Puerto Rico is still in a state of devastation after Hurricane Maria, which hit in September of 2017. We will help them clear and rebuild one of their greatest attractions, El Yunque National Park! The trip will cost $650 with a $300 (part of the $650) deposit for those selected!
June 22-29 | Trip costs - $650 | Application due - November 16, 2018