Hattie Walker Wilhoite Recognition Ceremony
For African American Women Student Leaders At Austin Peay State University
Hattie Walker, the namesake of this event, was the first African American female to graduate from Austin Peay State University. She was born in November of 1895 in Berea, Kentucky to St. Clair Walker and Sarah Elizabeth Reed. She received her Bachelor’s degree from Fisk University and then relocated to Montgomery County, teaching at Burt High School for 38 years. During this time, she decided to continue her collegiate career at Austin Peay in 1956, receiving her Master’s degree in education in 1957. She spent the remainder of her life in Clarksville, Tennessee, passing away in October of 1961.
This program's purpose to recognize the African American female faculty/staff for their years of service at Austin Peay State University, and to reward the exceptional work of African American female student leaders. This program is also in celebration of Women's History Month.
The Hattie Walker Wilhoite Recognition is given to African American students who identify as women and who have enhanced the campus life experience through the following:
- Consistent involvement in campus life
- Excellence in the classroom
- Significant participation in campus leadership
Faculty and staff can nominate students for this prestigious award. Any currently enrolled APSU student is eligible for nomination. Once the nomination form has been received, the nominator may be contacted for further information. A committee from the Wilbur N. Daniel African American Cultural Center will review all nomination materials and make the final decisions regarding recipients. All selected individuals will be notified that they have been chosen, and that they will recognized at the Hattie Walker Wilhoite Recognition Program for APSU African American Women on Monday, April 15, 2019.
- Nominees must be an African American student who identifies as a woman
- Nominees must be a currently enrolled, undergraduate or graduate, APSU student
- Nominees must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Nominees should have a record of continued involvement and leadership during their time at APSU
- Nominees cannot have been recognized previously. For more information, visit https://www.apsu.edu/aacc/hww/past-hattie-walker-honorees.php
For consideration all materials must be received by 4:30 pm, Friday, March 1, 2019. Please email documents to Marcelius Braxton at email@example.com