Chair Leadership Program
Overview of the Chair Leadership Program
- The Chair Leadership Program is offered in a 2.5 hour time block every other week, however the day/time will be based on the schedules of the facilitator and participants.
- The content is flexible and based on the needs of the new chairs. There is no set curriculum. The participants typically brainstorm the most relevant and important topics and invite guests to share information related to the selected topic.
- The program is facilitated by an experienced current department chair or a former department chair.
2018-2019 and 2019-2020 Chair Leadership Program
Facilitator: Dr. Jack Deibert, Department Chair, Geosciences
Faculty Leadership Program
Overview of the Faculty Leadership Program
The Faculty Leadership Program recognizes the importance of the faculty's leadership efforts at Austin Peay. The Faculty Leadership Program fosters the development of a more interconnected, knowledgeable, and adaptable campus community capable of responding quickly and collaboratively to challenges and opportunities.
The Faculty Leadership Program offers an opportunity for selected faculty to acquire a more comprehensive awareness of university operations, current or upcoming initiatives, trends, and relevant literature, as well as work on a team project and present its findings to the president and provost. The program fosters an exploratory team environment that requires participants to relegate all other campus responsibilities to non-program hours.
Accepted applicants meet half-days each week for both semesters (Fall and Spring) as part of a campus-led immersion program that assists participants in developing a collaborative project to positively impact the institution and student success, in addition to participating in mentoring conducted by university leaders.
Overview of Recent Changes to the Faculty Leadership Program
The Faculty Leadership program will now be offered every other year. When the program is offered, it will occur over a two-semester period, rather than a one-semester activity. This extended time period will allow faculty to spend more time developing and completing a project as a faculty cohort, and exploring aspects of university leadership. Here is a summary of the program changes:
- Frequency of Program– every other year, instead of every year
- Program occurs in both fall and spring semester (cohort commits to an entire academic year)
- Curriculum changes will enhance the mentoring opportunities of the program
- Cohort meeting frequency – only half days each week for both semesters
Click here for information about the 2019-2020 Faculty Leadership Program Application process and facilitator – https://www.apsu.edu/academic-affairs/faculty/faculty_programs/faculty-leadership-program.php
The I AM A GOV: First-Year Faculty Program supports the professional success of tenure-track first-year faculty at Austin Peay State University. Program participants will develop an in-depth understanding of retention, tenure, and promotion criteria through an exploration of teaching, creative or scholarly achievement, service, and advising in predominantly active-learning environments with extensive peer interactions for cohort cohesion and community building.