Course Credit Hour Review
Purpose of the review of the implementation of APSU Credit Hour Policy
- To determine if the appropriate number of credit hours are awarded to the course in order to demonstrate compliance with SACSCOC Policy on Credit Hour and Standard 10.7 Policy for Awarding Credit.
- It is an exploration to find adequate evidence to verify that the amount and level of credit awarded for APSU courses adheres to the APSU Policy 2:064 Credit Hours.
What happens with the results?
- Results of the audit will be utilized by the relevant academic department to determine if a course requires changes to the amount and/or level of credit or alterations to the courses content and assignments.
- Academic Affairs will coordinate the effort, however, faculty will implement the audit. The audit is not to "penalize" faculty. Any Results that indicate a course or section might need adjustment will be addressed in a collaborative manner by and with faculty qualified in the discipline.
What courses are included in the audit?
That audit will include three groups of courses:
- any course with a change in credit hours approved by the University Curriculum Committee in the last two years
- a random selection of courses
- Courses taught at Dual Enrollment locations
The random selection will be designed to include the following courses in the sample:
- course level: lower division and upper division undergraduate and graduate courses
- mode of delivery and location: courses taught at a variety of locations and delivery methods (face-to-face, hybrid, and online)
- session length (terms and parts of terms): courses taught in a variety of terms, such as full spring semester, 7-week terms, Wintermester, Maymester
- number of credit hours
- instructor type: course sections taught by full-time and part-time instructors
- schedule type: lecture, lab, practicum, internship, independent study, etc.
What information will be collected?
- Syllabi from selected course and/or course sections.
- A synopsis to explain the course and teaching method.
- An audit form for each selected course and/or course section will be completed by the instructor of record and reviewed by the department chair (or designee) and the dean.
Who will be involved?
- Instructor of Record
- Department Chair or Designee
- College Curriculum Committee or select members from the College Curriculum Committee
- Dean or Associate Dean