Quality Enhancement Plan
Click here to view a recording of the QEP 2019-2020 Annual Report presentation, which also includes a comprehensive overview of the Keys to the World QEP at APSU.
The Office of Academic Services and Engagement (formerly the Learning Opportunities Center) is responsible for implementing the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) at Austin Peay State University. The QEP is a component of the University reaffirmation of accreditation process through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). According to SACSCOC standards, the QEP is
(1) a topic identified through ongoing, comprehensive and evaluation processes, (2) has a broad-based support of of institutional constituencies, (3) focuses on improving specific student learning outcomes and/or student success, (4) commits resources to initiate, implement and complete the QEP, and (5) includes a plan to assess achievement.
The QEP:Keys to the World initiative aimed to enhance learning by increasing undergraduate students’ participation in high impact practices (HIPs) that not only transform perspective but additionally engage students in practical application of their learning in academic and nonacademic settings. APSU students engage in these transformational experiences by participating in HIPs such as service-learning (SL) and study abroad (SA) opportunities. The faculty and staff involved in the QEP aimed to create opportunities for students to participate in high impact practices as they discover the significance of critical thinking, problem solving, and self-reflection skills, which are vital for future graduates as they enter the employment market. Three student learning outcomes (SLO) and six goals were developed as a foundation for tracking and assessing the Keys to the World initiative progress through the completion of a reflective signature assignment, survey data and enrollment status. Several highlights of the Keys to the World initiative are listed below:
- 100% of service-learning and study abroad courses are tracked and coded in Banner
- HIP Student Success
- Of the students who received funding through the QEP, 77% used funding for their first HIP experience and 14% of the 77% went on to engage in additional HIP experiences
- SL GPA Average – 2.98 overall, 3.18 for QEP grant students
- SA GPA Average – 3.31 overall, 3.35 for QEP grant students
- Medal of Distinction - an award given to graduating undergraduate students who have displayed academic excellence while participating in at least six credit hours in service-learning and/or study abroad courses and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25. Students who earn this honor will receive a medallion to wear with commencement regalia and have the HIP experiences notated on their transcript.
- Allocated over $700,000 toward HIP initiatives ($60k awarded through external grant funds from TBR Student Engagement, Retention and Success grant)
- B.O.L.D Grant - Bridging Opportunities for Leadership through Diversity (B.O.L.D.) is an award that aims to support students who have been historically underrepresented in service-learning and study abroad
More information about Keys to the World can be found here.