The Concentration in Elementary & Middle Grades Science is an advanced degree appropriate for licensed teachers of elementary school and middle grades (K-8). This program will equip teachers to become more proficient leaders in science education and is aligned with the national frameworks for science education. The “Research Paper” option is intended as a terminal degree for practitioners. The “Thesis Option” will prepare program graduates for eventual doctoral studies.
Sample Course Plan
What opportunities are available with this degree?
Shortages of qualified science teachers in Tennessee and across the nation have been recognized for decades. The demand for effective teachers of science across all grade levels is expected to increase over the next 10 years.
The M.A.Ed. Concentration In Elementary & Middle Grades Science provides an advanced degree appropriate for licensed teachers in elementary & middle grades. This program will equip teachers to become more proficient leaders in implementing the National Framework for K-12 Science Education.
Benefits of obtaining a M.A.Ed. in C&I with a Science Concentration:
- May be completed within one or two years
- Improve your science content knowledge with engaging activity-based learning
- Become proficient in using research-based, best pedagogical practices
- Learn to integrate the disciplines for a rich, effective student experiences
- Develop the skills to become a leader of science education
- Program coursework is offered in accelerated eight-week terms.
- Complete the program in as few as 12 months.
- Become a more effective classroom teacher
- Transition into Science Curriculum Coordinators
at local or state levels
- Transition into a STEM position at
- Doctoral Program