The Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree in Educational Leadership at Austin Peay State University (APSU) focuses on providing skills to a variety of leaders in public and private education at both the K-12 and higher education levels.
The goals of the Ed.D. program are to enhance the knowledge and competencies of administrators so they may provide optimal conditions for the education of youth and adult learners. The program is designed to enhance intellectual understanding of leadership theory and policy, deepen leadership capacity, and position leaders for elevated organizational responsibility.
The objectives of the Ed.D. are to prepare leaders who:
- are inquiring, reflective practitioners;
- are competent in identifying and solving complex problems;
- understand the multitude of leadership and organizational theories and techniques related to their professional settings;
- value, encourage, and facilitate the professional development of self and others in their organization;
- demonstrate effective communication skills in both school and non-school setting;
- value, understand, and support diversity in their organizations;
- make contributions to the profession;
- make data-driven decisions; and
- facilitate group processes to resolve conflict.
* Students also have the option of earning a Tennessee State Department of Education Beginning Administrator licensure in conjunction with earning the Ed.D.
Ed.D. Program Specifics
The proposed Ed.D. program length is 60 semester credit hours beyond a master's degree:
- leadership theory and practice (12 credit hours),
- organizational analysis (9 credit hours),
- analysis of educational policy (6 credit hours),
- research and statistics (12 credit hours),
- elective coursework (9 credit hours), and
- dissertation work (12 credit hours)
What opportunities are available with this degree?
- Leadership at the state level
- School Leader/Principal
- Central Office Supervisor
- College Professor
- Leadership at the district level
- Instructional Leaders
- Educational Researcher