Preparation for Occupational Therapy School
What should I major in if I want to go to occupational therapy school? With your advisor’s assistance you can design a program that meets the requirements to enter occupational therapy school. Students who have developed excellent writing and speaking skills, possess analytic and synthetic thinking ability, are life-long learners who are enthusiastic, and understand the interpersonal aspects of medicine are they type of students most occupational therapy schools seek. Your major does not determine your success in being accepted to occupational therapy school.
- 4 year plans of study
- Occupational Therapy Advisor
- Tennessee Occupational Therapy Association
- The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc.
- Occupational Therapy Schools
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - Significant Points
- Learn How to Become an Occupational Therapist
The “pre-occupational therapy” checklist is a beginning point for students. There are certain criteria that must be fulfilled for admittance to occupational therapy school. You and your academic advisor will need to examine your interests, your academic record and the requirements to determine the best academic path for you.
Early in your academic career you will need to research some of the schools that offer occupational therapy training to insure you will meet all their criteria for admission. Some basic factors common to all professional schools include:
- Good undergraduate grades (overall GPA of 3.0 minimum)
- Good GRE Test scores
- True interest in profession as demonstrated by shadowing or volunteering in the field
- Service-related experiences in people-oriented environments – long term service preferred to short bursts of unrelated service activities
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong reference letters from professionals who know your character, as well as, your work ethic
Links to Occupational Therapy Programs in Tennessee
- Belmont University (Nashville) - OTD and MSOT programs
- Milligan College (east of Johnson City, TN)
- Tennessee State University (Nashville) - Pre-requisite Courses
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (B.S. in Rehabilitation Science (concentration in OT)
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center (Memphis) - Pre-requisite Courses