Welcome to the home page of the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. If you are a prospective student, the links on this page will provide you with much of the information that you need. We welcome on-line, transfer, and second-degree students. If you need more information, please contact our office at 931-221-7840 or email Dr. Bruce Myers, the Chair of the Department.
- 2018-2019 FAFSA is now open! Check out the APSU financial aid for more information.
- Looking for work ? check out our job opportunities and internship/REU opportunities pages!
- Students within 250 miles of APSU can get in-state tuition rates. More info on our Admission's page.
- Scholarships! Apply now for official APSU Scholarships and check out more CSCI scholarships.
- Check out more about the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) here.
- Tech Employment Spotlight: Nashville
- 100 Best Jobs: Very good show for computing, read the full listing of jobs
- APSU ranked as one of the Best Online Bachelor's Degrees in 2016, according to computerscience.org.
News from the Computer Science Department
CoSTEM Graduation Reception
The Faculty and Staff of the College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics will be holding a Graduation Reception in honor of the new graduates immediately following Commencement (Friday, Dec 15, 2017) in the Maynard Mathematics and Computer Science Building. Heartfelt congratulations and best wishes for our wonderful graduates! BRING YOUR FAMILY to Maynard Building!
ACM Programming Contest/Mid-Southeast Conference Congratulations
Regional ACM Programming Contest 2017: November 11, 2017. 2 teams participated, supervised by Dr. Church.The ACM Programming Contest is an international programming contest run every year by the Association for Computing Machinery. The contest takes place in two phases. The first phase is the Regional Contests which are held at various sites throughout the world. Each region coordinates its own contest and the top teams in each region are chosen to compete at the second phase of the contest, which is the World Finals.
APSU competed in the Mid Central region at University of Tennessee at Martin. There 14 teams competing at the site and were 126 teams competing in the region. Standings.
The teams were:
- Ron Harper, Robyn Yates, and Nathan Nickelson. 4th at the site and 57th in the region.
- Namespace Awesome: Ryan Swanson, Rhett Newton, and Luke Cecil. 10th at the site and 100th in the region
2017 Fall ACM Mid-Southeast Conference, November 9 & 10, 2017, Gatlinburg, TN, USA: Computer Science student, Michael Timbes presented poster "Using TensorFlow for Face Detection" at the conference.
Participate in Google igniteCS to help teach children programming
Get together with at least five other undergrads to help grow CS education in our community! You can get lesson plans and materials from Google to help you teach kids computer science and get them invested in our passion. Click to view more information and guidelines.
Graduate Teaching Assistant Positions Available
- work (a maximum of) 20 hours per week for 16 weeks in Fall and 16 weeks in Spring
- annual stipend: $5,200
- eligible for a tuition waiver to cover the cost of tuition and fees (approximately $10,000) not to exceed 10 graduate credit hours per academic semester
- Applicant must be admitted to or applying to the PSM or M.S. in Computer Science and Quantitative Methods program.
- The Department of Computer Science and Information Technology and the Department of Mathematics and Statistics offer a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Computer Science and Quantitative Methods, and a Professional Science Master’s (PSM) degree, also in Computer Science and Quantitative Methods.
Keeping Up With Us
For those who may not have kept up with us, here is a list of our faculty and staff.
- Mr. Barry G. Bruster, Instructor
- Dr. Nicholas A. Coleman, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Joseph V. Elarde, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Leong Lee, Associate Professor
- Dr. Jiang Li, Professor
- Mr. Johnny Maynard, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Bruce Myers, Professor and Chair
- Dr. John A. Nicholson, Associate Professor
- Mrs. Nancy A. Smithfield, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Yingbing Yu, Professor
- Dr. Jim Bateman, Professor Emeritus
- Dr. Jim Vandergriff, Professor Emeritus
- Mr. Keith Bearden, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Calvin G. Bolander, Adjunct Faculty
- Dr. Gary L. Griffith, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Jason Hatton, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Paul E. MacAfee, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Antonio (Tony) L. McCutcheon, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Stephen T. Paulk-McGinley, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Aaron Taylor, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Leonard Tharpe, Adjunct Faculty
- Mrs. Betty Leimer, Administrative Assistant II