Welcome to the home page of the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. If you are a prospective student, the links on this page will provide you with much of the information that you need. We welcome on-line, transfer, and second-degree students. If you need more information, please contact our office at 931-221-7840 or email Dr. Bruce Myers, the Chair of the Department.
Need Help for Programming Assignments and Software Installation?
We are OPEN for Fall 2017.
Please click here for our schedule.
FREE for all inclass and online students taking APSU classes.
Graduate Teaching Assistant Positions Available
- work (a maximum of) 20 hours per week for 16 weeks in Fall and 16 weeks in Spring
- annual stipend: $5,200
- eligible for a tuition waiver to cover the cost of tuition and fees (approximately $10,000) not to exceed 10 graduate credit hours per academic semester
- Applicant must be admitted to or applying to the PSM or M.S. in Computer Science and Quantitative Methods program.
- The Department of Computer Science and Information Technology and the Department of Mathematics and Statistics offer a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Computer Science and Quantitative Methods, and a Professional Science Master’s (PSM) degree, also in Computer Science and Quantitative Methods.
ACM Membership and Leadersip Opportunities!
The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) is looking for interested and motivated students who would like to join and contribute. Committee chair positions for the upcoming year are still available. Communication, as well as having a positive and winning attitude, are key to success of our organization. If interested, please email Shaughnessy Connor, SCONNOR1@MY.APSU.EDU for more information.
Apply Now to Be Considered for APSU Scholarships
Residents Within 250 miles Can Get In-state Tuition Rates at APSU
- The new offering reaches into Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia.
- Click here to check our our Admissions' page
Congratulations / Conferences / Publications / Events
- July 2017: The APSU Department of Computer Science and Information Technology, lead by Dr. James Church, hosted the EDGE (Educational Developing Games Experience) Summer Camp for local high school students. This camp was sponsored by GOOGLE.
- Incoming APSU (Computer Science) student Rebecca Armstrong awarded student leadership honor by American Spirit Awards. Shout-out to Northeast High School teachers, Rebecca, and Rebecca's parents! Click here to read from clarksvilleonline.com ...
- Dr. Leong Lee, Dr. Matthew Jones (Mathematics), Dr. Gregory S. Ridenour (Geosciences), Mr. Sam J. Bennett, Miss. Arisha C. Majors, Miss. Bianca L. Melito, and Michael J. Wilson (GIS Center), had their research paper "Comparison of Accuracy and Precision of GPS-Enabled Mobile Devices" accepted by the IEEE CIT 2016, 16th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, Yanuca Island, Fiji, Dec 7-10, 2016.
A new concentration in Information Assurance and Security has recently been approved for the Computer Science and Quantitative Methods, Professional Science Master's Degree program. Congratulations to Dr. Elarde, Mr. Bruster and Dr. Myers for all of their work on this project.
Alexander D. Hornick, a computer science senior, accepted the REU in Los Angeles at the USC Institute for Creative Technologies. The Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), of the University of Southern California offers a 10-week summer research program for undergraduates in interactive virtual experiences. Alex will be working on the "Natural Language Dialog Processing for Virtual Humans" Project from May 31 - August 5th, 2016. Here's a link to the REU page: http://ict.usc.edu/reu/
The Best jobs According to U.S. News and World Report Rankings
- Very good showing for computing !
Best Online Bachelor's Degrees in Computer Science
ComputerScience.org, ranked Austin Peay State University as one of the 50 Best Online Bachelor's Degrees in Computer Science in the nation for 2016. Please check out their website here.
College of STEM
The department is part of the College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (College of STEM). Click here for news about our College.
Keeping Up With Us
For those who may not have kept up with us, here is a list of our faculty and staff.
- Mr. Barry G. Bruster, Instructor
- Dr. Nicholas A. Coleman, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Joseph V. Elarde, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Leong Lee, Associate Professor
- Dr. Jiang Li, Professor
- Mr. Johnny Maynard, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Bruce Myers, Professor and Chair
- Dr. John A. Nicholson, Associate Professor
- Mrs. Nancy A. Smithfield, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Yingbing Yu, Professor
- Dr. Jim Bateman, Professor Emeritus
- Dr. Jim Vandergriff, Professor Emeritus
- Mr. Keith Bearden, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Calvin G. Bolander, Adjunct Faculty
- Dr. Gary L. Griffith, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Jason Hatton, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Paul E. MacAfee, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Antonio (Tony) L. McCutcheon, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Stephen T. Paulk-McGinley, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Aaron Taylor, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Leonard Tharpe, Adjunct Faculty
- Mrs. Betty Leimer, Administrative Assistant II