APSU's Phi Kappa Chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma
Alpha Phi Sigma is the only nationally recognized honor society for criminal justice. Since it's foundation in 1942, Alpha Phi Sigma has grown to over 400 chapters at colleges and universities in 48 states, Guam, and Canada. Here at APSU, we are proud to house the Phi Kappa chapter!
Benefits of Membership
There are a multitude of benefits to becoming a member of Alpha Phi Sigma. Amongst those benefits are the following:
- Alpha Phi Sigma is partnered with Experience.com, which in turn provides its members with the advantages of member to member job postings, resume and interview assistance, and networking capabilities.
- Membership meets one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical occupations on the federal level. This is assuming that the applicant also meets all of the requirements as described in the particular federal job announcement covering the position for which they have applied.
- Members have the opportunity to attend the Alpha Phi Sigma annual conference which is held each spring. This allows members to network with other members, and also with professionals in the criminal justice field.
- Each spring thousands of dollars in scholarships, awards and grants are awarded to Alpha Phi Sigma members! Some of these awards include:
- Regina B. Schern Scholarship
- Student Member Achievement awards
- Student Member of the Year awards
- Chapter T-shirt competitions
- Chapter project grants
How to Become a Member
In order to apply, you must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.2 and at least 9 credit hours of criminal justice courses completed. The Membership Fee for Alpha Phi Sigma is a one-time payment of $60 dollars. This is a Lifetime membership for which you will receive a certificate and a pin. Plus, additional graduation regalia is available to order.
Students who do not qualify for Alpha Phi Sigma may join the local chapter (APSU Phi Kappa) if they are a CRJ Major or Minor with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and at least one completed (3 hr) criminal justice course. The fee to join only the local chapter is only $15 and includes an APSU Certificate. Once the student has met the requirement to join nationally, their fee would be adjusted from $60 to $50.