Conversation partners are fluent English-speaking APSU students, faculty and staff who volunteer to partner with English language students promoting practice of the English language in natural conversation and participation in various campus activities and events.
Generally, when possible, males are partnered with males and females with females for cultural and personal comfort levels for both students and conversation partners.
Conversation Partner Requirements:
- Be open-minded and willing to teach and learn new things;
- Be in good academic standing (2.5 GPA) with no history of formal or informal student code-of-conduct violations;
- Be able to have weekly contact or communication with your conversation partner;
- Be able to meet together at least once a week for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour (longer is also fine);
- Be available at least some afternoons after 3:00 p.m. during the week - not just weekends and evenings;
- Be willing to commit for the full semester.
- Contact the ESL coordinator immediately if unable to fulfill commitment for the full semester or having trouble contacting student.
If you are interested in becoming a conversation partner, please complete the online application form.
- Applications for Fall 2019: Term 1 are due by 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 29. (Late applications may be accepted if space remains.)
- Applications for Fall 2019: Term 2 are due by 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Thursday, October 10. (Late applications may be accepted if space remains.)
- Applications for Spring 2020: Term 1 are due by 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, January 23. (Late applications may be accepted if space remains.)
- Applications for Spring 2020: Term 2 are due by 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 5. (Late applications may be accepted if space remains.)
You will be contacted by email to schedule an interview once your application has been received and reviewed. Please make sure to list your available times on the application.
Other Important Dates:
TBD: 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Conversation Partner Matching Meeting--A chance to meet everyone
TBD: 2:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Conversation Partner Meet and Greet--Find out who your conversation partner is
If you need additional information contact the ESL Coordinator .