- All new students must take an English language proficiency test. This test measures your general English language skills to aid in adjusting your level of study.
- You must receive a 75% or higher in all courses and have instructor recommendation to move to the next level of study.
|Level Placement scores:||(out of100%)|
|Level 1||0 - 40|
|Level 2||41 - 53|
|Level 3||54 - 66|
|Level 4||67 - 78|
|recommend for university admission||85+|
TOEFL and IELTS Testing:
APSU and the ESL Institute do not offer TOEFL or IELTS testing on campus. Resources and practice tests are available for self-study in the language lab.
- Information about the TOEFL: www.ets.org/toefl (closest testing center is Clarksville, about 2 blocks from campus)
- Information about the IELTS: www.ielts.org (closest testing center is in Murfreesboro, TN, about 2 hours from APSU)
Accuplacer Placement Testing:
International students applying to study at APSU may be able to take a placement assessment test at APSU in place of the ACT or SAT. For more information or to register for placement assessment testing on campus, please see the APSU Testing Center website.
All new students are given a copy of the student handbook at orientation. You can review it at any time online!
The information provided in this handbook is designed to assist:
- All prospective, new, and current international students
- The sponsor or family member of an ESL Institute student
We encourage you to become familiar with the contents of this handbook. It will be a valuable source of information for many of the questions you may have.